Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicago - Day 2, Second Half

After a while of wandering, we made our way south to the Aquarium.

We made our way to see the Cloud Gate sculpture in Millenium Park. It's one of the iconic things you associate with Chicago, and was pretty cool to see in person. The park itself is lovely as well. 
It looked like they were filming a movie from the 70's or something, judging by this police car.
We walked and walked and walked ...

And finally made it to the Buckingham Fountain. I saw it in our guidebook, and knew we had to see it. It was gigantic! 
Really beautiful fountain. It's located in a bit of an isolated spot, so it's funny to stumble upon it. You're walking and walking through Grant Park and wondering where it is. Then you cross the street, and see it all the way in the distance. You don't really realize how large it is until you're much closer, but it's definitely worth a visit. It was modelled after the Latona Fountain in Versailles, which I cannot remember if I saw or not when I was there. It is meant to represent Lake Michigan (apparently), with each of the sea horses symbolizing the states of Illinous, Wisconsin, Michicanm and Indiana, that border the lake. It was neat to see two rainbows in the water.
We continued our way down to Museum Campus where the Field Museum, John G. Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium are all located.
Unfortunately not paying attention to the time, we got there kind of late. We thought we could at least go through the aquarium, but were told it is best to have abou 2.5 hours to see everything. Plus, we already missed the dolphin show. So for the hefty price (I think it was about $38 to enter and see everything), we decided to come back another day when we had more time.
I thought this picture was great. I was completely oblivious to Stephen doing the panoramic shot on my phone while I was enjoying the view, hence my creepy morphed face. 
So, somewhat defeated and tired from an entire day of walking, we decided to head back to our hotel (seen from afar just to the right of Stephen's head).
We apparently had time to kill while trying to figure out what we wanted to do next ... 
Our awesome hotel, the Hilton Chicago.

My outfit of the day. I'm not really an "outfit of the day" type of poster. Altho most of the blogs I read are fashion/design blogs and many do centre around such a feature. I don't know. Maybe this will be something I do later on, although I don't really like posing for pictures or doing anything of that sort. But I did like what I was wearing this day. And it is a bit of a goal of mine to make it more of a point to dress up more and pay more attention to "my look". So here goes: 
- skirt: Danier Leather
- sweater: Michael Kors sample
- jacket: Danier Leather
- shoes: Leather Converse
- scarf: self made
-bag: some random brand I bought at Winners
- headband & sunglasses: H&M
We stumbled upon these sculptures, which I later found out are titled Agora. They are 106 headless and armless iron sculptures, created by artist Magdalena Abakanowicz. We did not know they were there, so it was cool to just stumble upon such a sigh. Stephen is my favourite model. I could take pictures of him all of the time :)
 We went back to the hotel, chilled for a bit, and decided to check out a jazz club. I think I looked to Yelp for advice, and found one really close to where we were. So off we went to Jazz Showcase. It's been around since 1947 and had some great reviews, so we thought we were in for a real Chicago experience. We got there, got some drinks, and listened to some jazz. I was bored after about 5 minutes, but thought Stephen was enjoying it so decided to just relax and enjoy the atmosphere. About 15 minutes later we both looked at each other, and I realized he was pretending to be enjoying it as well, and we both laughed about how we just wanted to get out of there. So we awkwardly walked out right after finishing our first drink. The crowd was much older, and the music just wasn't the relaxing sultry jazz we were expecting. Maybe it was the night we went on, but it was not for us. Trying to salvage our night, we found a liquor store on the next block and had a couple of drinks at the hotel. We went to wander around the hotel, exploring all of the hidden rooms, which was a lot of fun. I'll post those pictures in another post, as this one is already really long. I tend to ramble and include a lot ...
My babe :) (pretending to like the music)

No comments:

Post a Comment